Thursday, January 23, 2014

FIRST PASS

The Alias Hook saga continues! In our last thrilling episode, I was fooling around with cover ideas.

This week, I received this manuscript in the mail. It's the hard copy from the US edition coming out this summer from Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press, all typeset and formatted—cool fonts, and all!

In the publishing biz, they call this a first pass, although, technically, it's my last chance to excise all those embarrassing typos, misspellings, and gratuitous punctuations that will haunt me the rest of my life if they appear in print. The second pass is being performed by a proofreader at TDB as we speak.

This is NOT the time to rewrite a chapter, rename a character, or introduce a clever new plot twist that changes everything that happens in the last four chapters. That time is definitely past!

So far, I haven't discovered anything too dire that can't be fixed in a few swift strokes. The story reads pretty well too!

Why Hook? Why now? For those of you who came in late, read up on my fascination with Captain Hook here. If you're wondering what on earth was I thinking when I started this whole project, find out here.

My new pub date is July 8, 2014. In hardcover, yet! Watch this space for further details!

No comments:

Post a Comment